APPLE AND FENNEL SALAD
- Combine all of the ingredients and toss (don’t make too early or fennel and apple may brown).
- Combine all ingredients.
- The breadcrumbs are used to bind everything. You may opt to omit them or to increase the amount. They are not “necessary” although they do help the crab cakes keep their shape.
- Form into 4 large cakes.
- Gently sear in a non stick saute pan using canola oil or clariﬁed butter (butter is always better!).
- Cook until brown on both sides.
- Serve with fennel salad and top with a quick aioli (mix mayonnaise with some lemon zest and juice).
Apple and Fennel Salad
- 1 bulb of fennel, sliced very thin on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife
- 1 granny smith apple, julienned on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife
- 1/2 shallot, sliced thin
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS good quality champagne vinegar
- 2 TBS good quality extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb Dungeness crabmeat (picked through for any shell)
- 1 TBS diced shallot
- 2 TBS chopped parsley
- 1/2 TBS Just Cook Foods No. 19 Salmon Blend
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 TBS mayonnaise
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2-4 TBS panko breadcrumbs (final amount depends on how “bound” you like your crab cakes)