Serves 4 (unless they are big eaters)
GRILLED ANCHO CHICKEN
- Generously coat your favorite cut of chicken (breast, leg, thigh) and allow to sit for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Carefully clean and oil grill and cook chicken over medium/ low heat, away from direct heat. Turn occasionally until fully cooked – about 30 minutes for larger pieces.
- Allow the bread to stale. This can usually happen after 1 day.
- Cut bread into small cubes, toss in the oil and bake in 325 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until crunchy.
- Allow to cool. Will keep for up to 1 week.
BLACK EYED PEA SALAD
- Combine beans, bacon, shallot, olive oil and lemon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (if you enjoy more punch increase the lemon amount)
- Just before you are ready to eat, toss in the croutons.
- Whisk ingredients together with vigor.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. (try adding a splash of Tabasco)
- Toss asparagus in canola oil, salt and pepper.
- Carefully place on well heated grill. Arrange perpendicular to the grids of the grill as to avoid stray spears from falling to their fiery doom.
- It only takes a minute or two to cook. Once removed they will continue to cook a bit. Don’t lose the crunch.
- Enjoy hot off the grill or allow to cool. Yummy regardless.
- Bring water or broth to a boil.
- Slowly stir in the grits.
- Cover, reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 – 6 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese. Once melted remove from heat and add scallion and parsley.
- Season to perfection with salt and pepper.
Try serving “family style”.
- Platter chicken and peas separately.
- Platter asparagus and drizzle lemon aioli over or serve on the side.
- Serve grits in a bowl or casserole style dish.
- 1 piece rosemary focaccia bread approx. 6 inches by 12 inches
- 3tbs olive oil
Black Eyed Pea Salad
- 2 cups cooked and cooled black eyed peas (OK to cheat with canned peas, drained)
- 4 slices smoked bacon – cooked and chopped
- 1 small shallot – sliced thin
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- ½ lemon juiced
- ½ cup focaccia croutons (if need be, store bought can be substituted)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic – minced fine
- ½ lemon juiced
- Salt to taste
- 2 bunches asparagus – bottoms trimmed (avoid extra large – peel if necessary)
- 2tbs canola oil
- generous toss of salt and black Pepper
- 3 cup water or chicken broth
- ¾ cup quick grits
- ½ cup grated cheddar (white, yellow, whatever)
- 2 pieces scallion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped parsley