No question about it! You have to make this dish! It is our most popular item and what we demo at the grocery stores when we do in-house tastings. The “quickle” (a quick pickle of cabbage and onion) is a great combination that also works in salads and sandwiches. Definitely try seasoning your pork the night before – it will penetrate deeper and be that much better! Great with or without the black bean puree. For leftovers, how about a braised pork quesadilla? YUM!
COFFEE BRAISED PORK SHOULDER CARNITAS
- Cut pork shoulder into smaller, ﬁst size pieces. Toss generously with Herbed Coffee Rub. Let sit 3 hours or overnight in refrigerator.
- Brown pork on all sides in canola oil in a heavy oven proof pot. You may need to do in batches as you do not want to crowd the pork in the pot. Once browned, remove from pot and set aside.
- Once all the meat is browned, return to pot, add sliced onion and chicken stock (or beer or water) to cover the pork 1/3 of the way.
- Cover, bring to boil and cook in a preheated 300 degree oven for 3 to 4 hours until the meat falls apart easily.
- Once cooked, break apart with wooden spoon.
BLACK BEAN PUREE
- Puree all ingredients in blender.
- Transfer to a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Stir frequently and cook until puree thickens.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
CABBAGE & RED ONION “QUICKLE”
- Place cabbage, onions, and cilantro in glass bowl.
- Bring remaining ingredients to a boil and pour over onion mixture.
- Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Will keep in refrigerator for up to a week.
- Peel and dice avocado.
- Dress with lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a small amount of black bean on a fresh corn tortilla.
- Top with coffee rubbed carnitas.
- Accent with avocado relish and carrot-onion “quickle”.
Coffee Braised Pork Shoulder Carnitas
- 3lbs pork shoulder
- 2 tbs Just Cook Foods herbed coffee rub
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
Black Bean Puree
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
Cabbage & Red Onion "Quickle"
- 1 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp red chile flake
- 1 carrot- thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 cup (about 1/4 head) Cabbage-red or green, sliced thin
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 2 Tbs Cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados
- 2 small limes
- 1 Tbs chopped cilantro (optional)