For the soup base, you will need to make a stock. This is easy and can be done the same day as you plan to eat the soup but it is best to allow it a day to “bloom” and to let the fat settle.
- Generously coat the whole chicken with Just Cook Ancho Chicken rub. If you have the time, let it spice up overnight.
- Roast in a preheated 375 degree oven for 1 hour (or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees)
- Remove from the oven and once cool, remove skin (this isn’t garbage) and meat
- Pull the meat apart and chop. This will end up in your soup. Refrigerate meat and skin until soup is ready.
- Transfer chicken carcass and wings to a large pot and cover with water. (3” over the carcasses)
- Allow to gently simmer uncovered for 3 hours
- Strain, cool and refrigerate
- It’s time to make soup…..remove chicken meat, skin and stock from the fridge.
- Skim fat off of stock and transfer to a pot and heat until simmering
- Add diced carrots and onion. Allow to gently simmer for about 30 minutes
- If you like chicken skin (and you should) wake it up in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach, cooked pasta and chicken pieces to the soup. (you only need about 1/2 of the chicken pieces so feel free to save the rest for another recipe (see below!)
- Add salt and pepper as needed
- Garnish with pieces of crispy skin
- 1 whole chicken (this will give you extra meat for other meals)
- 12 chicken wings
- 4 tbs Just Cook Ancho chicken blend
- 2 qt chicken stock (see above)
- 6 oz ditalini pasta, cooked (or some other small pasta such as orzo, orrechiette, shells, etc)
- 1/2 lb cleaned spinach, chopped ﬁne
- 3 small carrots, diced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped chicken (from above)